A Little History…
Mother’s Day is a celebration that honors mothers, motherhood and the influence of mothers. Mother’s Day is celebrated in a large number of countries around the world on a variety of different dates, usually falling in the months of March, April or May. Mother’s Day is an American invention although it has come to be associated with celebrations of mothers and motherhood that have been taking place for many centuries throughout the world. The first modern Mother’s Day was held in 1908 by Anna Jarvis who held a memorial for her own mother. She campaigned to make Mother’s Day a national holiday in the USA and that is what it became in 1914. The holiday was adopted by countries all over the world and today on Mother’s Day anyone who wishes to can pay homage to their mother, grandmother or maternal figure.
And now for some gift ideas…
- Mothers are known for being the ones to worry for everyone else. It’s always a lovely idea to treat Mum to a day when she can be the one being pampered instead of her pampering everyone else! A perfect gift is a spa day- they are popular gifts and can be found almost anywhere nowadays. Find out where the nearest spa is and book your mum a spa experience for Mother’s Day.
- Enjoy a date with your mum- take her out and do what she loves doing- whether it means visiting a gorgeous park, a museum, shopping ’til you drop, etc. End the day with a meal at her favorite kind of restaurant. Make sure it’s an exclusive date; turn off you cell-phones and indulge in exclusive Mum-Child time!
- If your mother is the kind to love photographs then arranging for a formal portrait of all the siblings/all the siblings plus their children which you can then present to her on Mother’s Day is a great gift idea. Make sure to plan in advance what you will all be wearing so you don’t clash and so that no-one stands out more than anyone else.
- Make a piece of pottery or a ceramic serving dish at a local shop that offers such a service. If your mum is the kind that loves to host she’ll surely appreciate this home-made, thoughtful gift that will be as useful as it is beautiful.
- To be honest you can’t really go wrong with a stunning bouquet of flowers. You can even order a bouquet easily online nowadays so get online and order your mum’s favorite flowers, to arrive in the morning on Mother’s Day. For the mother’s that are more tree/plant-inclined and less into bouquets, treat her to a tree or plant that will surely bring her a lot of pleasure for years to come.
- Designing a personalized calendar can also be a lovely gift for your mother. You can buy a blank calendar and add pictures and decorations or your choice that can be bought in craft shops. Alternatively, you can order such a calendar online if you are less creative and get them to attach the required photos and decorations…
- If your mother is chocolate-crazy then buy her some truly decadent chocolates for Mother’s Day. There is no better day to treat her to such a luxury that she would definitely never treat herself to.
- If your mother likes wearing chic sleepwear or lounge-about clothes, buy her some pretty nightwear or some pretty slouch-wear that she can thoroughly enjoy as she stays at home.
- For mothers with lots of jewelry and not enough space to store it, buy a gorgeous jewelry box that matches her style- it will be well-appreciated for being beautiful and useful.
A pampering gift set of soaps, lotions, candles and gels will be appreciated by mums who like to experience the spa from the comfort of their own home. Buy her a set that incorporates the scents that she loves best and she will continue to enjoy this gift for quite a while to come.